torsdag 27 januari 2011

Going down under......

NO!....I am not talking about travelling to Australia but rather submerging under water and discovering the hidden life of the sea!!
Yes my dear friends I have done something I recommend anyone else to do, scuba diving! 4 days on Koh Tao and I have a certificate to dive 18m deep anywhere in the world! Yeey!
So scuba diving.....it's an adrenaline kick like hell trust me on that, there is no feeling quite like it when you submerge the first time underwater, feel the pressure of the ocean press on you and try to control your breathing! All sounds become distorted and the only thing you can pretty much focus on hearing is just your own breathing! It's a bit freaky to be honest that feeling the first time...I mean there's a lot to understand and know about diving, this is not golf, scuba diving can actually be very life threatening if you don't follow protocol!!!
Take for instance the fact that you are under heavy pressure of the ocean and it compresses air inside you, like I learned you NEVER ever press the red button to inflate your vest causing you to jump up to surface and killing you from decompression sickness or how about exploding your lungs....not very nice!

Well I saw some people falling to panic underneath in the different exercises we did, like the one where you take out your breathing piece and take one big sip of air and rely on that till you find your air piece behind you back or the one where you have to breath through your buddies (we dive in pairs) alternate air breather say in case your air was out! Now people panic, it's natural but not very smart...ehrm.....they don't find the air piece 18 m under water and panic and first thing they think of is "I need to get up" aka bad idea, you'll die! However if you think ahead of what you do everything will go fine!!! Another pain in the A thing is your goggles that will fill up with water from time to time....well you need to take off them underneath and squeeze out the water from them and quickly put them in place again...again some people will, I don't know why panic......Once you master these skills though.....there is beauty of huge proportion to be discovered down there.....

The first time I submerged I closed my eyes cause it was a bit freaky and scary, however opening them just when underneath unveiled another world full of life! I could see 15m down to the bottom and all the thousands of fish swimming around in all colors and exotic corals climbing on to rocks! I mean it is literally like watching a film just that you are there! Sitting on the bottom at 18m I had fish of all kid swim up to me and past my so close I could pet them! Crabs and weird worms sticking out from the sand! Oh man I have never seen anything like it!

So that was my Koh Tao experience, there was 2 days of lazing on the beach of course and doing absolutely nothing....actually learning Thai language, yep got a book and started learning...and it's manageable! Now it is off to Malaysia since the Thai visa runs out for me but I will soon return to Thailand and maybe Koh Tao for a another certificate!

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar